31 March 2000
- Looks like Linksys has kicked the PPPoE firmware upgrade into general
release... just in time for April Fools' day. But it's no joke, so click
here to download the update, or go
here for more details.
28 March 2000
- The Securing section of the site has been updated with info on when you
need to use NetBeui for Microsoft File and Printer sharing, whether
"stealth" mode is important, and other goodies. Check
23 March 2000
- WatchGuard Technologies has a new router aimed at the small
office, home office market. It supports both PPTP and IPsec VPN
standards and has some features that make it easy to live with. Go
here for the full review.
20 March 2000
- UMAX has finally released a PPPoE firmware upgrade for their popular
UGate Plus router. The download details are here.
- I've added the "Add your Opinion" feature to the following
Why not Add your Opinion?
18 March 2000
- I wondered why my system had been acting funny the past few days.
Imagine my surprise when I found the netlog
worm on my dialup-connected system! Go
here for more information.
- Sorry for the misinformation that I posted a few days ago
about MacOS TFTP clients for updating the Linksys router. Turns out
COMET and dataCOMET contain TFTP servers, which are no help in
updating the firmware in the router! I've corrected the page and am still
on the lookout for a MacOS TFTP client (besides the one that MacSense
includes with their XRouter firmware updater). Let
me know if you find one, so that I can post the information!
13 March 2000
- Linksys has again changed access to the PPPoE firmware upgrade for the
Etherfast Cable / DSL router. You still need to contact them to
request the update and give them some information, but you
can do it via a web page instead of having to call Tech Support.
- Information on updating the Linksys router Firmware via a Mac
(instead of a PC) has been added to the Linksys
router Help page.
-Been wrestling with getting a PPTP connection going through your NAT
based software or hardware router? This
new page can help.
10 March 2000
- MacSense has updated their XRouter to add PPPoE
support. Go here to read
the updated review, which you can add your Opinion to!
-Vicomsoft has revamped their SoftRouter and Internet Gateway
product lines. The changes include lower pricing, so
go here to get the poop!
- Linksys has changed access to the PPPoE firmware upgrade for the
Etherfast Cable / DSL router. It has been withdrawn from the FTP
site and is available only by calling Linksys Tech support. More
9 March 2000
- Looks like there are a lot of brave souls who are moving on to
Win2000. I've added info on how to access Win2000's Internet Connection Sharing feature in the ICS section. Go get the
6 March 2000
- UMAX has released its FREE PPPoE upgrade for the UG3000.
Go here for info on how to get
An upgrade for the UGate Plus is in the works and should be
- Speaking of PPPoE, Linksys has a Beta available of
PPPoE capability for its popular Etherfast router. Go
here for more info.
22 Feb 2000
- If you've been looking for help with getting Dialpad, Netmeeting,
online games, ICQ, or another favorite application
working through your shared connection, check out the new Special
Applications page. Dialpad also has its own
help page now, so if you have a tip, send
- V1.5 of Harley Acheson's ICS Configuration program
is out. Come and
- If you're a return visitor to the site, you'll notice another new
link on the Sharing pages: Client
Configuration. This has been added to clarify what to do
after you install any type of sharing method. Let
me know what you think of the new section.
- I have an Watchguard SOHO router evaluation unit in and will
be getting a review up this week. It's similar to the Beadlenet
SOHO2000, but handles IPsec and PPTP VPN, and has an
improved installation procedure. No PPPoE yet, though. Check
back later this week for the poop!
18 Feb 2000
- The "Add your opinion" feature seems to be running reliably
now, so I've added the feature to the UMAX
UGate3000 and UGate Plus
router reviews. Tell us your opinion!
14 Feb 2000
- Well, the low end of the cable/DSL router market is
starting to get crowded! D-Link announced the DI-701
Residential Gateway last Wednesday and it's list priced at $159
with an estimated street price of $139.
Go here for
Hawking Technology also weighs in with their PN9225 10/100
Cable/DSL SOHO router (whew!). Although priced about the same
as the Linksys, there is a $50 rebate that can bring the router down
to about $120 or less. Check it out here!
- The Linksys router help
and ICS Troubleshooting
pages have been updated with new, handy tips. Take a look!
13 Feb 2000
- My apologies to those of your who have tried to post your
opinion on the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router
review. I really haven't been editing your opinions. I've been having some problems with the posting system so that not all
reviews are getting posted. If you could please check to see if your
opinion gets posted correctly, and drop me an email if it doesn't, I'd
appreciate it! Thanks!
9 Feb 2000
- If you have a HomePNA network that you've been wanting to get
connected to your Ethernet LAN, the Linksys HomeLink Broadband Network
Bridge just might do the trick, so check
out the review. You can even add your own Opinion, so weigh
6 Feb 2000
- I'm trying out a new feature for the Product Reviews. You
can now add your Opinion to a review. The first review that has this
capability is the very popular Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router
review. Go here
to try it out.
31 Jan 2000
- I've been getting a lot of feedback on the new Linksys
Etherfast router, so I've added a Help
and Info page. This page includes a fix to help @Home users who
have been having trouble and a link to the new firmware update that fixes a
- I've been tuning up the Troubleshooting and Sharing sections, adding
new troubleshooting tips
and revamping the LAN setup sections
with clearer instructions for installing and configuring TCP/IP.
These improvements are the result of your feedback, so keep it coming!
- My procrastination has come to an end and I've finally finished the How-To
for a Mixed Media Router that will allow you to share the Internet in
a network that has Ethernet, wireless, phoneline or all three connection
types. You'll even be able to File and Printer share, too!
Go here to get started!
22 Jan 2000
- The parade of 10Mbps phoneline adapters continues! The lastest is Netgear's Phoneline 10X, so come
take a look.
- V1.4 of Harley Acheson's ever popular ICS Configuration program
is in the Download area. Come
and get it!
20 Jan 2000
- Linksys' new
inexpensive router has a security problem that you should really
fix if you have one. Go
here to download new firmware for your router!
17 Jan 2000
- As a follow-up to the review of the Proxim Symphony
Cordless Ethernet Bridge, we review
the Cordless Ethernet cards.
15 Jan 2000
- Thanks to Mike Gudowski and Bengie Quintana, ICS
Configuration map files have been added for Camerades, Quake, Unreal,
Descent 3, and Heavy Gear 2. Go
to the Download page to get 'em!
12 Jan 2000
- The ZyXEL Prestige 310 router now supports PPPoE. You'll
need to upgrade to Version 2.50 or greater firmware. Go
here to download it.
- Helpful reader Errol Casey
tipped me to a Linux driver for the Proxim Symphony cards,
from Dave Komacke.
11 Jan 2000
- Linksys snuck one out on me, but fortunately I have alert
readers! For those of you looking to tie your HomePNA1.0 1Mbps
phoneline networks into your 10BaseT Ethernet network, Linksys' HPES03
Broadband Network Bridge should do the trick. A review unit is
on the way, but in the meantime, check out this
9 Jan 2000
- ICS Configuration maps for Dialpad, PC Anywhere, ICQ, and
VNC have been added. Go here
- I've received more requests for review for this product
than any other so far. Go here for the Linksys
EtherFast Cable / DSL router review!
5 Jan 2000
- I've reorganized the ICS Problems and ICS Tips pages into a
single ICS Troubleshooting page. Check
it out here.
4 Jan 2000
- Happy New Year! No Y2K bugs to fight here, so we dug
into the bag of goodies that Proxim recently sent. First of three
reviews is the Symphony Cordless Ethernet Bridge. See how it did here.
- Looks like Harley Acheson had some time to update ICS
Configuration over the holidays. Check
out Version 1.3 here. By the way, how about sending in