- I've updated the ZyXEL P310 review with higher throughput
information. Read all about it here.
- If your ISP is using PPPoE and you've been having
trouble trying to share the connection, try
this new page for help.
-Between bites of my Christmas goodies, I'm still hard at
work! Check out the review of the D-Link DHN-910 10Mb
Phoneline Networking kit.
- Since Santa might bring a new computer (or two!) for the
holidays, you might want to get a nice hardware router to go with it so
that everyone can be dialed up to the Internet at the same time! The ZyXEL
P100WH just might do the trick for you. Take
a look at the review and decide for yourself.
- More goodies continue to be delivered to the testing
lab! Check back soon for reviews on the D-Link DHN-910 10Mb
Phoneline Networking kit and the much anticipated Linksys BEFSR41
Etherfast Cable/DSL router!
- ICS users who need to open ports for games and other
special applications have been using Harley Acheson's ICS Configuration
program to do it quickly and easily! Harley has released V1.2 of
the program, which adds the ability to save and import mappings so
that once you figure out how to get your favorite application working, you
can share your work with others! Go
here for the new version of ICS Configuration.
- Looks like S3/Diamond isn't the only game in town for a
phoneline 10Mbps network card! The Linksys Homelink Phoneline 10M
kit has hit the streets and it works like a champ! Check
- For those of you who have been waiting for 10baseT
performance from a phoneline networking product, wait no more! The
S3/DiamondMM Homefree Phoneline 10Mbps delivers the goods! Read
- Linksys has entered the broadband Ethernet-Ethernet router
market with an interesting new low-cost entry. Check
the Router section for more info.
- S3/DiamondMM submitted their new 1Mbps HomeFree PhoneLine
-USB adapter and 10Mbps Phoneline PCI adapters for review. You can
read the USB adapter
review here, and the 10Mbps review will be coming shortly.
- After a rest to digest my Thanksgiving turkey, I decided to
give the routers a rest and dig into the new wireless and phoneline
networking kits that have been piling up in my In box. First up is
the WebGear Aviator 2.4 wireless kit. Check
out my review.
- UMAX has posted a fix for the IRC IDENT problem for
the UGate Plus. Visit the UGP Help page
for the details.
- The next generation of 10Mbps phoneline and wireless
products is starting to appear, some with USB interfaces! Visit the
revamped wireless and phoneline networking
page for more info.
- I've had many requests for a review of the Zyxel
Prestige 310 router. Well, wait no more! Go
here for the poop!
- This must be the week for router news! Check out the review of the Macsense XRouter. Nice little unit, which
includes a 4 port 10baseT hub, and no, it's not just for Macs!
13 Nov 1999
- I've added info on some other low-cost hardware routers from
Macsense and Netgear. Check the Hardware
12 Nov 1999
- Hardware router maker Beadlenet
has been acquired by Watchguard Technologies.
For more info, read the press
9 Nov 1999
- UMAX has released and upgrade to the UGate Plus firmware that adds MS PPTP
(VPN) support for one computer. Go here
for more info.
1 Nov 1999
- Since I'm now back to dial-up for my Internet connection, what better time to
start reviewing dialup routers? First up is the UMAX
29 Oct 1999
- Vicomsoft, makers of Surfdoubler and other fine Internet sharing products, now
allow SurfDoubler and
Plus users to purchase a license for up to three users.
SurfDoubler pricing is now $54 for 2 users, and $73 for 3 users.
SurfDoubler Plus pricing is $74 and $99 for 2 and 3 user versions respectively.
License upgrades are also available for existing users (see this page
for SurfDoubler, this
page for SurfDoublerPlus).
- Been wondering how to add wireless (or phoneline) clients to
your network and get the whole thing playing together? Vicomsoft
has put together a nice
article. It's not a complete "how-to", but it does explain
some of the issues of getting multiple network types to play together nicely.
- The Secure Your LAN
pages have been updated, adding new backgroup information, security scanning tools and
links to personal firewall products.
23 Oct 1999
- Microsoft's ICS does the trick for sharing many people's connection.
However, for those users who need to be able to access servers (Web, FTP, pcAnywhere,
etc.) on ICS client machines, ICS hasn't been very helpful. Accessing servers
involves mapping ports through ICS' firewall and Microsoft hasn't
provided any easy way to do this.
Help has arrived from Harley
Acheson in the form of ICS Configuration.
This program makes it easy to open, close, and otherwise manage your ICS ports. Go here to download it!
19 Oct 1999
- I've been catching up on updating a number of miscellaneous hints around the
site. I've added some more Tips for dealing
with your second NIC, and added a simpler
way to have Sygate automatically switch to secondary DNS servers if the
- I've received two new routers for evaluation and will be digging into
them shortly: The MacSense XRouter and UMAX UGate II (dialup router). Watch the News
section for the reviews!
15 Oct 1999
- UMAX is offering UGate Plus users the opportunity to trade in their unit for a
UG3000. All you need to do is send in your old unit and $150 and you'll get a new
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for
11 Oct 1999
- If you're looking for help with the UMAX UGate routers, try the new UGate forum on the UMAX site.
It's new as of 11 October, but give it a shot!
3 Oct 1999
- The big move has been completed... or at least all our stuff is here and we're
basically set up. If you're in the Charlottesville, VA area and
need some help with your small network, give us a yell!