If you have a 3COM 3C905 or 905B series card and have any of the following symptoms:
- Can’t install the NIC successfully.
- Changing settings on one NIC affects the other NIC.
- NICs work intermittently
You may want to try the following:
- Get the latest drivers from the 3COM site and:
- Expand the downloaded archives and copy to floppies.
- Remove any 3COM network adapters in the Network control panel.
- Remove any 3COM network adapters in the SYSTEM control panel (Device Manager).
- Delete the following files:
- Restart. The system will autodetect the NIC and you can install the drivers from the floppies.
- Disable IRQ Steering if you are using it. See this page.
- If you are using an older version of Win95, download and install the DialUpNetworking 1.3 update. This includes newer TCP/IP stacks and drivers that may help.
I’m sorry that I can’t be more specific, but the symptoms and cures vary from system to system. If you don’t want to mess with any of the above, go get another NIC. There are plenty of fine NICs available from Asante, Linksys, Netgear and other companies.