Do you want to set up a Static IP Address for your home or office? In this blog post, we will show you how to do it! It is a very easy process, and can be completed in just a few minutes.
A Static IP Address allows you to keep the same IP address every time you connect to the internet. This is useful for many reasons, including security and convenience. If you would like to learn more about Static IP Addresses and how they can benefit you, keep reading!
By default, most users will have Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) turned on for both DNS and IP addresses.
Your IP address is modified automatically by this protocol, which means you could have two distinct IP addresses for your system on successive days.
The DHCP helps you to set up a large number of devices quickly and effectively, and it is fine for the average user.
If you want to do more complicated activities like as using wake-on-LAN, a static IP may be preferable.
How to set a Static IP Address on Windows
The process for setting up a Static IP Address on Windows is very simple. Just follow these steps:
- First, open the Control Panel and go to Network and Sharing Center.
- In the left-hand column, click on Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on your active network connection and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv) and click the Properties button.
- Select Use the following IP address and fill in your desired static IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and preferred DNS server.
- Click OK to save your changes.
You should now have a static IP address!
How to set a Static IP Address on a Mac
The process for setting up a Static IP Address on a Mac is very similar to the process on Windows.
Just follow these steps:
- First, open System Preferences and click on Network.
- Click on your active network connection and select Advanced.
- Click the TCP/IP tab and select Manually under Configure IPv4
- Enter the IP address you’d like to use
How to set a Static IP Address on a iOS (iPhone/iPad)
The process for setting up a Static IP Address on iOS is also very similar to the process on Windows and Mac.
Just follow these steps:
- First, open Settings and go to Wi-Fi.
- Click the (i) next to the network you’re connected to.
- Scroll down and select Configure IPv
- Select Static and enter the IP address you’d like to use.
Your iOS device will now have a static IP address
Now that you know how to set up a Static IP Address, you can enjoy all the benefits that come with it!
If you have any questions or need help, feel free to reach out.